This 1 day Patient Handling Training Course is designed for those already working or hoping to get work in the Nursing, Hospital, Home Care, Nursing Home or allied industries. It will provide learners with the knowledge, skills and attitude required for Safe Patient handling.
The course will cover all aspects of relevant legislation, anatomy, risk assessment, principles of safe lifting and safe patient handling techniques, in addition to the use of hoists, slide sheets, and other ancillary equipment.
- At the end of the course participants will be able to
- Discuss relevant legislation from the 2005 Safety Health and Welfare At Work Act and
- General Application Regulations 2007
- Identify the principles of Manual and Patient Handling Risk Assessment
- Select appropriate PPE
- Identify key problem areas in Patient Handling
- Identify who is most at risk
- Identify the needs of different patients/clients
- Be able to correctly handle both animate and inanimate loads
- Be able to choose the correct Patient Handling equipment for the task involved
There are two modules in the Patient Handling course.
Module 1 (morning session) – Manual Handling
- Legislation regarding manual handling in the workplace
- Work Place Accident Statistics
- Anatomy & physiology of spine & the musculo-skeletal system
- Mechanisms of Injury to the Spine
- Risk assessment
- Principles of Manual Handling (inanimate)
- Practical session (Lifting to and from floor level, to and from a height, lifting at bench level, pushing & pulling)
Module 2 (afternoon session) – Patient Handling
- Introduction to Patient Handling Training concepts
- Ergonomics and Patient handling Risk Assessment
- Discussion on client/patient ability to communicate and their physical capability to participate in their daily care
- Introduction to Patient Handling Training equipment
- Demonstration in Patient Handling Training techniques : bed height, slide sheets, banana board, transfer belts, pushing and pulling wheelchairs, use of hoists and slings
- Class participation practical session in Patient Handling Training
This Patient Handling Training course will be taught in English unless previously arranged. Students should identify any special needs on booking the course.
All successful candidates will be issued with a certificate of attendance by Platinum Safety. Certification is valid for 2 years from date of issue, thereafter subject to re-certification.