Learn key techniques to fell trees expertly and safely on our two-day course.
Platinum Safety is an approved Lantra Awards Training Centre based in Co. Limerick and we currently have a number of approved Instructors. We provide Lantra Chainsaw Training Services in Limerick, Cork, Galway, Clare, Tipperary, Dublin and Nationwide on request.
Overview in Brief
Using a chainsaw and felling trees are both potentially dangerous activities.
Having total confidence and expertise in what you’re doing is essential.
That’s where our two-day course can give you the edge.
Platinum Safety’s chainsaw course is delivered by experienced instructors to small groups, so you’ll receive plenty of individual attention.
This is a hands-on course that delivers both practical skills and health and safety guidelines as well as demonstrating that you and your employer have completed sufficient training to meet the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER).
We also use high-quality course materials to accurately reflect current safe working practices.
The Finer Details
Platinum Safety’s chainsaw course is a balanced mix of theory and practice.
You’ll be guided through all the relevant health and safety guidelines to ensure you stay protected on the job.
After a look at pre-work preparation, you’ll then move on to the hands-on aspect of the course.
All the appropriate techniques will be taught, from felling to site clearance.
- HSA legislation and safety guidelines
- Felling techniques
- Branch removal – snedding and de-limbing
- Taking down hung-up trees using hand tools
- Clearing site and chainsaw checks.
This a physically demanding course, so you’ll need at least a minimum level of fitness.
Who Should Attend?
This course is suitable for people who work in; Agriculture, Horticulture, Woodland industries, Local Authorities, Conservation, Construction, Land-based industries.
Note: Due to the nature of the training a minimum level of fitness is required for specific operations. Whilst we would not want to disadvantage any learner it is an essential requirement.
What Will Be Covered?
By the end of the course you’ll be able to:
- Understand risk assessment procedures
- Assess trees to be felled for hazards and associated risks
- Prepare trees to be felled and escape routes
- Fell trees which have a diameter up to 200mm/8” safely and accurately using different techniques
- De-limb felled trees in a safe and effective manner
- Select and use hand tools and maintain them in a safe condition
- Takedown hung-up trees using hand tools
- State techniques that must not be used for the takedown of hung-up trees.
At a Glance
- ASSESSMENT TYPE: Practical assessment/demonstration/assignment
- DELIVERY METHOD: Theory/practical
- DURATION: 2 days
Learners should have completed the Chainsaw Maintenance Cross-Cutting prior to completing the Chainsaw Basic Felling Techniques (up to 200mm diameter).
Learners are asked to comply with the following requirements; Chainsaws as per HSE guidance and pre-course handout, PPE as per pre-course handout, Operator’s maintenance kit and equipment as per pre-course handout, 2-stroke fuel and saw chain oil.